Getting “stoned”…

calcium-phosphate-kidney-stones-300x175

For the record, I am not a person who enjoys dealing with things medical and, no, this post isn’t about illegal drugs.

Calm yourselves.

I know others who live to schedule doctor visits and then proceed to share every bit of information involved when you make the mistake of asking “what’s new?”   Look, mine is a gentle criticism so please don’t judge.  Certainly, when someone is dealing with a medical issue, by all means, seek help, don’t ignore it.  I…am one of those people who tends to ignore things, always doing a work-around, hoping to avoid any doctor appointments.

Sometimes…that backfires!

Kidney Stones rumbled their way into my life a few years ago but I’ve been fortunate in never suffering with excruciating pain from the gnarly little buggers.  In my situation, that…has been the major problem as severe kidney infection usually sets in and a Lithotripsy procedure takes place.  Over one year ago, a Urologist advised that I could “easily live with an impacted kidney stone” and I proceeded to do just that.  Until a few weeks ago.  Enter another infection, brief hospitalization and a stone-removal procedure at the capable hands of a new Urologist.  I’ve been fortunate with this practitioner in that he immediately stepped-in and felt that no one could, or should, “easily live” with this, now crucial, situation.

I’m scheduled to share my sarcasm and wit with the OR staff again, next week.

In the meantime, it’s been a flurry of running here, running there, for pre-op testing, blood work, COVID testing, etc.  My medical dance card is full but, with all of this comes additional suggestions from our regular doctor for getting additional “body work” done.

Nope.  Ain’t happening!

I will adamantly, intentionally, ignore above suggestions, especially at this stage of my life.  I’m well aware that having more than ample medical coverage is something that the medical field finds…enticing.  Armed with whatever your insurance will cover, they want patients to run a long list of testing for everything from head to toe while suggesting a prescriptive protocol which, all combined, will have both short, and long term, debilitating side-effects.

Chalk it all up to my not wishing to be a lab rat.  No one should be when they reach these damn “golden years” and end up being robbed of whatever precious time they have left.  No one should live in fear because of medical opinions that spin around like a marker on a roulette wheel.  No patient should be left praying that a suggested diagnosis is correct and then have to run a medical gauntlet for second, or third, opinions.

I’m in the driver’s seat of my life and procrastinate, I will!

workshop-button-1From Mama Kat’s Writer’s Workshop...Tell us about something you’re procrastinating on.

Comments

1. Patty,

I’m visiting from Mama Kat’s. I was gonna procrastinate this year’s annual colonoscopy but decided it’s best to go in for it. I have Crohn’s. Several years ago I had part of my intestines removed because of severe diverticulitis. I can’t afford to lose any more, so with my certain common symptoms of Crohn’s making itself very present in my life for much of this year increasing becoming more intense then I think I have to listen to my body. Perhaps next year I can afford to procrastinate on this procedure. I hope your medical flare-up settles down. It’s never any fun being unwell. Blessings to you!

I’m happy you didn’t put off that procedure, Cathy, especially with what you’re dealing with. This horrible year has affected so many people and not just with COVID. The anxiety and stress all work in concert to send minds and bodies into a tailspin as people try to cope with the pandemic situation.

I hope you stay well…I will keep you in my prayers!

2. madamdreamweaver says:

I agree with you and about saying ‘no’ about being examined head to toe “just to see if there something they can find,” then treating it with prescriptions with untold consequences. I believe they ought to be told “no” more often, so they can get over themselves.

Ohhhhh…yes…the prescriptions! It seems they get a little unnerved when you do not take any prescribed medications and embark on some mission to get you on some course of treatment…just because!

I\’m a polite listener but always reply with a damn snarky \”No!\”.

Stay well and stay safe!

3. Kim says:

I also refuse to go to the doctor, and live with as much as I possibly can, until I have no other choice. I’m blessed enough to have medical insurance now (I didn’t for years), but there’s still ridiculous co-pays to be dealt with and deductibles to be met. So even if I wanted to have all my aches and pains checked out, I still can’t do it. Working full time and running a household and an Estate (for the time being)? Not enough time, and not nearly enough money.

Kidney and gall stones are no joke, though. I’m glad you’re having yours taken care of, and wish you a speedy recovery!

Thanks so much, Kim!

I so agree on the dang co-pays and the time spent having to check-in prior to an appointment and, of course, navigate over to the \”payment page\” and avoid long, spaced-out, lines at the office the day of your appointment. Even with that, a few of my recent visits had me waiting almost one hour to see my physician. The office chalks the delays up to COVID and all the sanitizing work necessary in between patients. Can\’t wait until this damn virus disappears and see what the next excuse will be!

Stay safe!

Your “medical dance card” made me laugh. I recently scheduled a blood test for myself to check my thyroid and when I got there they just talked to me without checking it, but rather gave me a referral to go somewhere ELSE to check it. If I had known I was just making a referral appointment for myself I never would have gone. I know what you mean though, filling each week with various doctors appointments is obnoxious. I hope you’re feeling better!

Doctors have grown to love the term…\”referral\”. What was once personal has now taken on a completely clinical atmosphere in the doctor\’s office. Whatever they can cover during your, 15 minutes or less, appointment always, always, involves them telling you to see a slew of other practitioners. What I love are the follow-up emails and letters, asking you to rate your doctor and staff after your appointment.

For now, I\’m doing okay, thanks for your kind thoughts, Kat!

5. John Holton says:

My God, is that picture at the top the stone?

Doctors love Medicare. Is that the insurance you’re talking about?

Apologies for the tardy reply, John. Having just gone through another procedure, I\’ve been trying to focus on things positive, mainly Thanksgiving.

The photo is similar to one, of two, stones that made themselves a home in my kidney; one was blasted out a few days ago, the second invader lurks in the shadows. And yes, Medicare plus additional coverage which the doctors find very much to their liking. At times, the medical profession is much like a car dealer when you bring your vehicle in for a minor issue and some service manager produces a menu of \”necessary\” things to keep your wheels running as they should.

So far, the best part of this recent procedure? A slew of bills sent to me, but with someone else\’s name and treatment information on them…treatment not involving kidney stones.

I needed that laugh.