Another time…

Hugs

He was nearing the end of his first year at the University of Florida and was so anxious to spend time with his grandparents, his aunts, uncles and cousins, before returning home to start his summertime job.  I was thrilled when I received his flight information, many weeks ago, and immediately started getting our guest room ready.

May 4th was the date he was due to arrive here in New York and we so looked forward to having him here for a few days.  We started making plans, for a trip to Jones Beach, to Manhattan, to favorite restaurants.  Things he enjoys when he visits.

I thought about time passing and how his previous visits were always with his family.  Suddenly, our oldest grandson had become a young man and now could fly solo on trips here.  I thought even more about holding on to each precious moment before his future visits became less frequent, as well as ours to visit him.

Enter the pandemic and along with it, a screeching halt to his trip.  Understandable, yet disappointing, given the safety protocols in place for everyone.   It makes me sad knowing I’ll be missing his hugs.  He gives the best ones.

With no clear end to this virus in sight, we wonder about future family visits.  We know there will be, don’t get me wrong, but when?  Weeks, months, next year?  Sadly, this is the downside of when families are miles apart, settling just for videotelephony contact in place of those wonderful, up-close, expressions of hugs and love.

thumbnail_60495392406__A1428887-277F-49D8-BC04-6A0BDD59DD7D

Hopefully, time will remain on our side.

We’ll wait to see him again.

We have no other choice.

workshop-button-1

From Mama Kat’s Writer’s Workshop…What did you have planned this month that is now canceled? Will you reschedule?

Comments

1. John Holton says:

Sorry you won’t have a chance to see your grandson. I hope you will see him very soon. I guess this thing has left a lot of us with plans in the air.

Thanks, John. Depending on his return to college, there might be some hope for a visit at the end of summer. Might. Everything is contingent on just what this virus has in store for humanity in the months ahead.

2. madamdreamweaver says:

I know what you mean. A good friend was set to visit us at the end of March when she was in the area as part of a business trip—then suddenly due to the virus, it was canceled. But good news, it was rescheduled for Nov. In Italy right now, (58 minutes ago at this writing) is daily news cases and deaths have been on a steady decline since March and recoveries took a sudden sharp new upward spike today to over 8000 recovered. That’s very good. So, it will get better.

A few friends of mine do a fair amount of international travel and that, understandably, has been put on extended hold. Whatever the situation, we are at somewhat of a standstill for the time being.

I\’m with you…it will get better!

3. Abby says:

Aw, bummer Patty. But understandable. I look forward to when you and all of us can have in-person gatherings again.

This too, shall pass, Abby. How soon, anyone\’s guess.

Yes, there will be gatherings. I just hope that all safety measures will continue to be observed until we get back to safe places.

Aw, I bet no one was more disappointed than him to have to cancel that trip! I hope he’ll be able to reschedule!

I hope so, Kat. We talked about a visit later this year but…that will depend on his return to college schedule and, of course, just what this virus does next.