To do it again…

There wasn’t much thought involved with writing a list of what I’ve missed throughout this virus pandemic and would like to do, once it’s over.  Actually, it’s all very basic.  Even simple.  Call it my Wish List

index

Hugs.  Yes, up close and very personal expressions of caring, of love and good old gratitude.  With family members living close by, we stand at a polite, safe, distance from one another.  The same with friends.   It’s all just so…clinical.  Efficient and unemotional; coldly detached.  A hug at this point in time could be a needed expression of support yet, it can also be dangerous, possibly a lethal human-to-human touch.  In fact, there’s an interesting book written on this subject...”THE PROS AND CONS OF THE HUMAN HUG” by S. Elia.  You can Amazon it!  Sadly, practices surrounding future hugging will remain just thoughts for the unforeseeable future.

gathering

Gatherings.  This is a tough one.  Meetings, social events, family get-togethers, religious worship.  I’m guessing this all can be orchestrated as long as everyone comes with their own tape measure and maintains an acceptable space from one another.  At this point, after enduring the required “stay at home” procedures, I’m ready to go, ruler in hand.

Fly

Traveling.  Boy, I’d really, really like to fly the friendly skies at the first opportunity.  More than that, I’d like that window to open for my, too far away, family to come and visit.  Even with that, there are just so many variables involved and it’s anyone’s guess as to if, and when, airline travel will resume normal functions.

Shopping

Shopping.  Not just the random runs to the supermarket…real shopping!  To the local nursery for plants, to a shop for clothing I don’t need but want, to a local thrift shop to find a precious collectible, stopping at a farmer’s market.  Silly stuff.   Okay, none of these are what might be deemed necessary but all were part of my now bygone normal.  The freedom to take a ride in the car and stop here and there on a whim.  I miss that and can’t wait to do it all again.

work

Work.  I cannot wait to return to work.  It won’t be easy, given the beauty industry I work in and all that will be required in maintaining safe practices for everyone.  Trust me, I KNOW how clients have been inconvenienced with not being able to have hair services.  The impact that COVID-19 has had on non-essential businesses has been fairly devastating for many hair salons.  The strong will indeed survive and the loyalty of clients will be instrumental to that process.  I’ll be ready to style, trim and color-correct, hiding behind my mask and trying hard not to gasp at the results of too much kitchen-hairdressing.

So, there you have it.  My 5.  Nothing too earth-shattering, probably not even remotely exciting, even boring.  Representative of my own particular normal.  Wikipedia sums me up best… behavior that can be normal for an individual when it is consistent with the most common behavior for that person. Normal is also used to describe individual behavior that conforms to the most common behavior in society.   Blah, blah and more blah…in all this time, I’ve always thought I was a staunch non-conformist.  What the hell does stupid Wikipedia know anyway?

workshop-button-1From Mama Kat’s Writer’s Workshop…Write a list of 5 things you’d like to do when we’re done social distancing.

Comments

1. John Holton says:

Hope you don’t have too many kitchen disasters when all this is over…

Ha! Disasters are not allowed in my kitchen, in fact, I have a wooden sign over the kitchen window that reads…”Be careful how you address the Queen”. I love to cook, and entertain, but always end up with everyone gathering in the kitchen while I’m in the midst of prep. I simply point to that sign and give them all “the look”.

It’s so sad that what we crave is just normalcy! Popping in and out of a store without feeling paranoid and co-existing without fear. I think you can rest assured you will be swamped with work once we are permitted to go out again!

I won’t mind being swamped but what I’m anticipating will be a lot of clients, who are so on edge from this virus situation, they will not respond well to new salon procedures, mainly a spreading-out of appointments with no one being able to get last-minute services. My personal feeling is to accommodate all who are returning to work, first, then those who do not have to get back into the workplace and public eye. And, dealing with a few who have already stated that they won’t wear a mask, .

3. Abby says:

I can certainly relate to all of the above. I’ve been thinking about the lack of hair salons. Once things open up again, it’s gonna be a mad rush!

Oh yes, a very mad rush with the potential of ticking-off a lot of clients who will have to abide by strict appointment scheduling.

I\’m stressed just thinking about the debates ahead.

Thanks, Abby! Stay safe, stay healthy!

4. Lori says:

I am so with you on missing hugs. Most especially from my grown kids. One of my daughters works at a grocery store and has lots of contact with the public and I’m high-risk, so we stay 6 feet apart when I see her. I hate that. And shopping and lunch out with my sister is greatly missed too. Hopefully not for too much longer. And let’s not even talk about my hair. I’m growing out my gray and am ready to go really short, but not enough that I’m willing to try doing it myself. An appointment with my hair stylist is the first thing I’m doing when it’s safe. Maybe even before the hugs, haha.

I\’ve witnessed people doing a yeoman\’s job with observing all safe practices but…hair issues? That is almost becoming a separate, huge, protest waiting to explode on the next newscast. One big issue will be with making it clear to clients that there will not be a mad rush into salons as people cannot be on top of one another. It will definitely make for some extremely long work days, having to stagger all appointments!

Thanks, Lori. Stay safe, stay healthy!

Yes, Yes, Yes and YES! I agree with all of these. I miss just being out and about normally without feeling paranoid or concerned. Will we ever get back to that place again!?

We will get back, but, to a different type of normal. I keep wondering how focused people will be with observing doing safe-everything once each state relaxes its mandates. And, with the medical specialists now warning about a resurgence of this virus, mixed-in with a yearly, seasonal, flu, it\’s damn scary.