Current state of mind…

In following the stay at home/stay safe guidelines, my emotions are much like a runaway train.  Up, down, sideways and, at times, in danger of a complete derailment.  Trying to find things that lighten my spirit as opposed to so much of what pisses me off.  Difficult, to say the very least.

Now and then, a segue happens.  A welcome distraction from this current pandemic-lifestyle. Somewhat of a benefit given by all this time on my hands and the ability to just waste that privilege whenever I damn feel like it!

5 positive (sometimes instant) mood-lifters.

Music Old music.  Doowop.  As a kid, I wasn’t allowed to listen to anything in this genre, having it deemed “pure crap” by my father.   He never realized that his description made the music even more enticing. Late at night, I’d hide under the covers, armed with my trusty transistor radio, earphone plugged-in, and tune into the one or two New York radio stations that would come in with several wiggles on the dial.  Static or not, the music was great.

The artists could actually sing, and most were damn good at it.  The lyrics always touched a tender spot.  Love, heartbreak, mixed with a dash of hope, all in a two-minute recording.  I’ve been playing several songs, over and over, doing some chair-dancing and loving all the memories of much simpler times.

Purging.  Something that most of us have been doing.  Pretty soon I’ll have an abundance of room for what…I have no idea.  A good feeling, overall.

Talking on the phone. How much nicer to hear someone’s voice and share expressions that don’t take the form of a text, accented with some asinine emoji.  😊

Cooking. Well, honestly, I pride myself on being a cook but…with my pre-unemployment work schedule, dinners previously involved my mad rush in the front door around 6 or 7 p.m.  The Husband would be waiting, noticeably weak from hunger, and I’d hurriedly get his meal prepared.  Now, in the past month, I have time to present gourmet quality dinners, served at the much more reasonable time of 5 p.m.  Great, right?  Well, not so much when he frequently informs me that he’s had a late lunch and really isn’t all that hungry.  Note to self:  Encourage him to have more late lunches when my job resumes.

Sleeping. Mind you, not a lot of it but far beyond what my manic stress level usually allows.  It’s been lights-out by 10 p.m. and I awaken now, usually by 4 or 5 a.m.  That…is pretty much a full night’s sleep for me.  I’ll take it, for as long as this unwanted vacation lasts.

5 instant mood-downers.

Trash. Used gloves and masks thrown down in the parking lot at a market.  Shame on everyone who does this, and you KNOW who you are.  Stop it!

Television. Mainly, the news. Stop the network-to-network sniping and keep your personal opinions out of the mix.  We are embroiled in a national/worldwide crisis and not interested in your personal agendas or your like/dislike of government, or other, officials.  Shut UP!

Pets. Okay, this is promising to become a major issue.  When this pandemic started, the rush was on for people to hit animal shelters and adopt, adopt, adopt.  What’s next?  What happens when everyone emerges from hunkering down or returns to the workplace?  What will happen when the new furry family members no longer receive the undying attention they’ve been used to?  Think about that!

And now that the media is reporting a few cats and dogs who have become infected with COVID-19, might this start a pet-dumping wave of insanity?  Think about that, too!

Toilet Paper, and other necessities. It’s been over one month and what appears in the markets (at least here) are a few rolls of toilet tissue (single ply/no name brand) and a sign…”One to a customer”.  Is society experiencing some major intestinal disorder?  How much toilet paper do people really need?

Frozen food aisles?  No pizza, taquitos, egg rolls, french fries, potato skins…the basic noshes…next to nothing available.  Pasta and rice?  Mostly gone.  Carbohydrate overload anyone?  But there is… ice cream…and lima beans.  Plenty of lima beans folks.  And they’re so much better for you than all the above junk!  Each flat little bean includes manganese, potassium. copper, magnesium, and phosphorus, and iron.  Two words of advice:  Buy Beans!

Line jumpers. Trust me, they’re out there in the supermarkets, cutting in front of shoppers who dutifully wait behind the taped lines at the checkout, markers in place to maintain a six-foot space between customers.  Along comes some wise ass who wheels in between the lines of that aisle.  And then gets yelled at.  Loudly.  And retreats.  He won’t soon forget me.

workshop-button-1From Mama Kat’s Writer’s Workshop: Write a list of 5 things that put you in an instant better mood.  Write a list of 5 things that put you in an instant bad mood.

Obviously, I combined both writing prompts.  I’m more than certain there will be plenty of opportunities for, sometimes erratic, mood swings before this current pandemic ends.  If it ever ends.  The emotional roller coaster ride will take its toll as we all wait, and wait, to move forward again.  And we will.  With much caution.  We will…get through this!

Comments

1. John Holton says:

You did such a good job, I got upset with the things that upset you. Especially the thing about the pets. What an ignorant thing to do to a defenseless animal!

Human nature being what it is, the inevitable looms, John.

My home is a tad over one hour from Manhattan and there are a lot of \”week-enders\” who have second homes here. Every damn year, these \”city folk\” come up here to spend the Summer, get themselves a cat or dog, and then leave the animals behind once the season ends. Their mentality (or lack thereof) is that someone will take care of them. It doesn\’t always end well for the abandoned pets, as you can imagine.

Stay safe, John!

2. Cheryl says:

Yes, a runaway train! Great way to describe it! I really enjoyed your list. I had great expectations of purging every drawer, closet, etc. in every room of my house during this stay-at-home time, but I haven’t yet done it. 🙁 I know I’d feel better if I did it – I just have to bite the bullet and start somewhere! Music is a HUGE upper for me, too. I’ve been loving all the live concerts that my fave musicians have been streaming. Stay well!

You hit on something that’s really been bothering me…my lack of motivation!

Normally, I maintain a busy schedule and constantly juggle things. Possibly, it’s the challenge involved of having multiple missions staring me in the face and the feeling of accomplishment when I get them all done. Now…not so much. It’s a “meh” kind of attitude, knowing I have another day, and more after that. I’d really like to look back on all of this and pat myself on the back for getting it all done.

Stay safe!

3. madamdreamweaver says:

Good list. We recently did a quick pick-up of a few items at the local Publix grocery (we usually do main shopping on the Air Force base) and noticed they have recently put down direction arrow sigsn on the floor for each aisle, so traffic will only flow one direction either up or down per aisle. I suppose it’s to prevent to much closeness that might come with two way traffic. First, I didn’t even notice the arrows, then Hubby pointed out I was going the ‘wrong way’ and I immediately felt a sense of indignation to be ‘told what to do’ and would’ve kept on going the wrong way, except Hubby convinced me to cooperate as others in other aisles were following the flow and even though our aisle was empty, we’d be going the ‘wrong direction’ in the next aisle where someone might be. We don’t go there often, but I like to occasionally as Publix feels much more exotic then the base commissary.

I’ve received a few “looks” when going the wrong way up or down an aisle. I understand the markets efforts with trying to maintain a sense of order. It’s a hard habit to break when you’re used to remembering something down Aisle 3 when you’re over in Aisle 11 and just want to run back and grab it. Then, there is looking UP at the hanging signs for each aisle, showing what items are there, and looking DOWN at the directional arrows, only to find that you have to double back and start over before being issued a summons by the supermarket police.

It’s easier to Find Waldo than grocery shop these days.

The purging has been wonderful here…I just wish someplace would open up and let me donate them! I’ve been wondering about the adopted pets too. Hoping the new pets are acclimated before the owners head back to work. 🙁

I’ve checked locally and there’s still no place open to collect all the “purging” donations as well. Boy, oh boy…there will be some serious shopping opportunities for everyone once these shops do reopen. We all may have great future stories to write about…the new goodies we find to fill the empty spots we’ve cleared out during this pandemic!