Remembering…

Fond memories of what once was are often much better than what actually took place.  So are dreams.

Time does that.  It tends to erase so much.  Like, romanticizing things.   Almost in an attempt to blanket all that might have been painful so long ago.  And, those situations we wish could have had happier endings.  Dreams are much like old photo albums.  With each turn of the page, a moment jumps out at us.  It lingers for a while, softening into a cloud of wishful thinking.

And memories.  Like raking leaves every Autumn, when we reach into a pile and pick out the prettiest ones, stopping to admire their vibrant colors before gently sweeping them into a mound.  Then, we watch the wind carry them away.

images8tx07j91

Fond memories of what once was are often much better than what actually took place.  So are dreams.

My choice from Mama Kat’s Writer’s Workshop…..Write a post that begins and ends with the same sentence.

workshop-button-1

Comments

1. Stacey says:

Interesting. It’s true that we tend to romanticize our memories. It seems to me that it goes both ways. Sometimes we only remember the good but other times we only remember the bad. It’s hard to maintain perspective.

I agree, Stacey. Often, things which have hurt us the most are the sharpest memories while the happier times are just fleeting thoughts. Thank you!

2. I agree that this can go both ways, but I totally get what you’re saying. You expressed it quite artfully!

3. May says:

mmmmmm….this is lovely and so true.

How are you?! I have missed you and am delighted to see that you are writing again.

May!!! I have miss you as well, stop by your blog now and then, happy to see you still there! I have been writing, and working, and working with the working taking precedence over everything. Finally decided to push all the business paperwork aside and get back to more important things!

Hope all is well with you!

4. Very true. And sometimes, memories are better being off memories lost somewhere in the abyss of our minds…

So true. My memories of events are usually so much lovelier than the actual event!

I feel that a softer recall of certain things is emotional insulation. Almost like that “hindsight is 20/20” way of thinking. Gets us through past events that we wish had been better. Thanks, Kat!

6. Andrea says:

I am a sentimental fool – I realized this recently. I think that this is our way of preserving our current state of mind, since the past can’t be changed. We all have the chance to make it seem better than it was.