Little thanks…

Who does not thank for little will not thank for much. ~Estonian Proverb

This is the first year since I’ve been married that I’m not in panic mode on Thanksgiving Eve.  No, it’s not because I’m perfectly organized with all the holiday prep, ready to leap from the starting gate tomorrow morning for a day of cooking.  We’re invited to join extended family for dinner and my house is hauntingly quiet.  A huge turkey won’t be stuffed with apples and fresh herbs before roasting for hours tomorrow, pies aren’t bubbling away in the oven, the wonderful smell of sage isn’t lingering in the air and the dining room table isn’t dressed in its usual festive tablescape.

I’m not complaining, not at all.  Actually, I am grateful, in many little ways.  Taking a step back from all the turkey day work is giving me the opportunity to sit and think about things.  Not having to focus on making everything perfect is giving me a much needed pause, time to remember what Thanksgiving is about and…what I’m truly thankful for this year.

Months ago, we lost a cousin, a beloved member of our family but her spirit often presents itself in many different ways.   Fond memories of her frequently bring smiles and laughter when we recall happy times in years past.  We are all thankful she was such a part of our lives.

Four of them; one stunningly beautiful girl and three incredibly handsome boys.  From the moment they were born, I gave thanks for the privilege of being their grandmother.  I rejoice in their achievements, obsess over little difficulties and make every exhaustive effort to spoil them rotten because…I can!  (I would be remiss if I wasn’t thankful to my daughters and their spouses for making my grandchildren possible.  Also, much appreciation to my patient husband for his part in the creation of the above two daughters…and a son.   I’ll stop here as this sounds like a drawn-out award acceptance speech.  Just sayin’)

Last, but not least…Reconnecting!   That word, in itself, just sings out with thanks!  This year, I had the pleasure of finding family in California and a cousin I didn’t know existed who lives in Washington.  We’ve been busy sharing old photographs, family history and learning so much about each other.   Then, when I didn’t think it could get any better, a 50th high school reunion graced me with the renewal of many friendships and the start of brand new ones.  What’s that, you say…everything old becomes new again?  Definitely.  Nothing compares with the chance for new beginnings!

Next year at this time I’ll hopefully be in the throes of pre-Thanksgiving madness once again and if some writing prompt surfaces along these same lines, I probably won’t have the time to sit and share my thoughts.  For now, it was nice to give little thanks for so very much.

Mama’s Losin’ It

Comments

1. Trac8 says:

fellow Virgo, I sympathize with your need to feel as if things are perfect! Enjoy your day and tomorrow you can start worrying about next year!
    Love you!

2. Nancy says:

Enjoy your year off! It’ll make you refreshed and ready for next year, I’m sure! Happy Thanksgiving! Stopping by from Mama Kat’s link-up! 🙂

Oh, trust me, I AM refreshed! Hearing my husband moan and groan on the return trip home about not having turkey sandwiches to look forward to…well, what can I say…I’ll be making Thanksgiving dinner this Sunday, just to not hear his sad “no turkey” drama.

Thanks for stopping-by, Nancy!

Beautiful…that you are still able to find so many things to feel thankful for in the midst of a family loss. Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

Thanks so much, Kat! There are times we have to dig deeply in order to find a forgotten smile and some happy memories. The loss of our beloved cousin is still so new and we face these holiday “firsts” without her, something especially difficult for her two children.

I hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful as well!

4. Toni says:

Yay for big families that give us a break. May your cousin be remembered fondly and you and your family have a happy thanksgiving.

Thanks so much Toni! Good memories are like the special ornaments on a Christmas tree, fragile and so worth hanging onto. Happy Holidays to you!

5. I wasn’t prepared for a math test when I started my reply 🙂

I used to do the family Thanksgiving, and I loved it, even though it was a lot of work. Then four years ago, my husband got laid off the week before Thanksgiving, and we didn’t feel like hosting it; instead, having a quiet dinner with just us while we licked our wounds. The next year, my brother took over the dinner, and I have to say, it’s been pretty wonderful to let him do it (he creates a spreadsheet to organize the day, so really, he’s made for this kind of thing). Enjoy letting others do the work this year.

Oh dear, that dang Captcha-thingy, so sorry! For so long, I refused to add any type of word verification gadget to my blog. Unfortunately, when spam comments started arriving to the tune of 100+ each day, I had to act. Even with Intense Debate and Bad Behavior in place, I was emptying garbage on a daily basis.

Anyway, I’m so glad you stopped-by. So many families have been dealing with job layoffs while our economy keeps sliding along. My hope is that it works its way into positive territory…and stays there. Wishful thinking, I know.

Now that its over, enjoying Thanksgiving while someone else did all the work…not so bad! It was like watching myself through some window…all the prep, stress mixed with panic, and much too much food!

Again thanks, Dyanne! Happy Holidays!

6. Jaimie says:

Yay for a year off! And beautiful table set up btw! I’m super jealous..

Jaimie!! I’ve missed you, lady! So happy you stopped-by!! Hey, if you’re in my neck of the woods (and I do mean WOODS) for Christmas, come and visit. I’ll set a place at the table just for you!