Stop…listening

Muffled sounds from another room became real once again as I stepped outside of my dreams.  The light of the moon made it seem as if a new day was ready to greet the world.  It was the middle of the night.

And…I listened.

Loud whispers grew into grumbles.  Her once breathy voice became someone else’s as she cursed, threatening some invisible being in her room.  At least it wasn’t me.  Truth was, I had ceased to exist in her mind.  I felt an odd comfort looking in from the window of the person she once was.

It made it easier for me to stop… listening.

Flicker of Inspiration Linkup #43: Listen

We could all do with a little more listening these days, after all.

In the almost six years since my mother’s passing,  sounds in the darkness of night still awaken me.  During those moments I sense that her spirit remains in the guest room down the hall.   I still try not to listen but she’s there, still trying to run after her memories and away from mine.

Comments

1. John Zaffino says:

Wow! What a powerful statement, short and to the point! Congratulations on your gift from the heavens, Stella, and on another powerful post.
    I am very glad to know you and to call you ‘Friend’.
    John

Thank you, my friend! I don’t know if it’s a gift or that I have learned to vent gracefully.

Appreciate you stopping by, as always!

2. No. 7 says:

There is a good sense of confusion in this, Patty. Stepping from dreams, the feeling of day but realizing it’s still night and the once breathless voice now belonging to a stranger. This is great. I would to see you expand on this piece to bring us into the moment even more.

Gosh, Kelli…I’ve ranted on a great deal about those “moments” and my fear is that people might get tired of hearing my perceived “complaints” about dealing with my mother’s dementia. Somehow, this prompt let me tiptoe around my experiences without getting overly clinical.

I love when you visit…thank you!

3. May says:

The power and depth of your words leaves me feeling that anything I have to add lacks meaning.

4. Tracie says:

This is a powerful piece. The peace that can come with not listening in a situation like this is profound.

Thank you, Tracie! When I think back to the times my mother was going through episodes of “sundowning”, I fooled myself into thinking if I didn’t listen, her tantrums would just quiet down. Quite the opposite. It was if she could sense my attempts to ignore and her rages became more pronounced.

Appreciate you stopping by!

5. Jester Queen says:

How terrible that she should remain an unquiet spirit still fighting the same battle that killed her.

Terrible and so much of what Alzheimer’s patients go through, JQ. Whenever there is a full moon, it seems those noises I hear are her, reminding me that she really has not left.